Thursday, January 1, 2009

Before and After

Well, I did get a little work done the other day. My Weedy Garden is actually a little less weedy today. I decided the other afternoon to spend some time on one of the beds. Here's a before shot...
Weedy bed before

...and an after shot.
Weeded bed

Much better! I pulled about half of a large yard trash bag worth of weeds. Of course, they are likely to just come back again. I wonder if my Weedy Garden will never be NOT weedy. And what will I call it if it isn't?

Woodrow and I have also worked to get the debris pile down. Initially it was much worse than even this...
Photobucket

...but we have since gotten it down even further, since creating my compost bin.
Pile diminished

What really freaks me out is that when I rake up the leaves and move a pile, I uncover up to a dozen or more "bugs" (look like roaches) that quickly all scamper for cover. I really have to get over my bug fears (or I need to get a lot more lizards and frogs and birds around here to get the numbers down)!

Here's the compost bin, as of this morning.
Compost

The raised bed is looking slightly better than when I first moved in...
Garden

Weedy raised bed

...but there's still a long way to go.

I'm not the only one who has done work on the garden. My Mom and Tommy have done a tremendous amount. Remember that HUGE ficus?
Big Tree

Tommy got a hold of it, and turned it into a real tree.
Ficus all trimmed up

And I have also put up a couple of bird feeders and this little inexpensive birdbath that will have to suffice for the time being.
Bird bath

So I have been working on the jungle little-by-little...

No comments: