Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mystery Plants Identified

After moving in to my place, I was encountered with a number of unidentified plants. I posted the plants on the FL GardenWeb, and with their help I was able to identify the plants. This is what we've come up with so far (some are definite, and some aren't):

The forum confirmed that this is a Surinam Cherry. It is supposed to be edible, but too sour for most adults.
Cherries

Everyone has voted on this one being Crape Myrtle, which I know is supposed to be somewhere in this yard (when I moved in to the house, I found some gardening notes in a book that explained how to care for some of the plants, and it mentioned Crape Myrtle).
Photobucket

Mystery plant

This one has been identified as Clerodendrum or "Starburst". I'm not a fan of it, but I haven't seen it in bloom yet, and it is supposed to have remarkable blooms. The one in this photo is practically dead at this point from lack of water, but there are two more over by the shed doing just fine (I wants plants that can do well on little water, so I am purposefully not watering the plants too much. Obviously the sunny location that this one is in is not a good one if it dies within a couple weeks without water.)
Clerodendrum quadriloculare

The consensus on this one is that it is some sort of gardenia. Again I have seen no blooms yet, so I can't confirm this. But the leaves do look like a gardenia, and the home gardening notes did mention a gardenia plant.
Gardenia?

I have a couple of these trees by the lanai, and someone has suggested that they are Shady Lady olive trees. I haven't seen any fruit yet to help identify them, but I am thinking that they are right about their assessment.
Shady Lady olive tree?

Shady Lady olive trees?

Shady Lady olive trees?

This little beauty grows across the shed, and has been identified as Rubber Vine.
Rubber Vine

Rubber Vine

This one has been identified as a Crape Jasmine, and I think that someone said that it is also known as a Florida Gardenia.
Crape Jasmine

Crape Jasmine

This one I'm really concerned about, as it appears to be a live oak planted right next to my fence and home, so will likely have to be cut down.
Mystery tree or shrub

This is one of my favorite plants in the yard, and someone has suggested that it may be Rojo Congo. Since cleaning up the area behind the deck bench a little to get a little more light back there, this guy has really grown up over the last couple of months (this photo was taken a couple of months ago).
Rojo Congo?

This guy was finally identified by someone as a Moringa or Drumstick Tree. It is a great "famine" tree, as every part of it is edible. I like the flowers.
Photobucket

Moringa

Someone identified this as a Little Gem Magnolia. Again I have seen no blooms yet to help in the confirmation.
Little Gem Magnolia

This guy is still a mystery. It was a huge shrub when I bought the home in October.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Within weeks it seemed to be taken down by some pest, as I saw the leaves quickly disappear, but now I see new leaves sprouting all over it.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Many thanks to all who helped identify my mysteries!

No comments: